Looking for a scrumptious and nutritious substitute to regular burgers? Then try out these Garlic and Herb Marinated Grilled Portobello Mushroom Burgers! The juicy mushrooms are saturated in garlic and herb marinade, then BBQ’d until tender. To make it even better, add all your favorite burger toppings – this recipe is ideal for summer barbecues or quick weeknight dinners.
- 4 large portobello mushroom caps
- 1/4 cup of olive oil
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon of dried basil
- 1 tablespoon of dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1/4 teaspoon of black pepper
- 4 slices of cheese (optional)
- 4 burger buns
- Toppings of your choice (lettuce, tomato, onion, avocado, etc.)
- Clean the portobello mushrooms by wiping them with a damp cloth. Remove the stems and use a spoon to scrape out the gills from the underside of the cap.
- In a small bowl, mix together the olive oil, minced garlic, dried basil, dried oregano, salt, and black pepper.
- Brush the garlic and herb mixture over both sides of the portobello mushroom caps, making sure to get the mixture in between the gills.
- Let the mushrooms marinate for at least 30 minutes, or up to 2 hours, in the fridge.
- Preheat the grill to medium-high heat.
- Place the marinated portobello mushrooms on the grill, gill-side down. Grill for 4-5 minutes on each side, or until they’re tender and lightly charred.
- If using cheese, place a slice of cheese on each mushroom during the last minute of grilling.
- Toast the burger buns on the grill, if desired.
- Assemble the burgers by placing a grilled portobello mushroom on each bun and adding your favorite toppings.
Serving and Side Dishes:
Make this savory Garlic and Herb Marinated Grilled Portobello Mushroom Burger recipe for four people to tantalize your family or friends. This meal is perfect when accompanied by a variety of sides, including sweet potato fries, coleslaw, or even just a simple salad. If you’re in the mood for something cooked on the grill as well, some zucchini slices with peppers and onions are sure to complement it wonderfully! Bon Appetit!