Need something delicious yet vegetarian-friendly and good for you? Our Garlic and Herb Baked Southwestern Quinoa Casserole is here to please! This scrumptious meal will wow your taste buds on a weeknight or be the perfect addition at any weekend gathering.
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups water
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can corn, drained
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh cilantro for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- To prepare the quinoa, take a medium-sized saucepan and strain it through a fine-mesh strainer. Then add two cups of water to the pot and bring everything to a boil before reducing heat. Let simmer for fifteen minutes or until all of the liquid has been absorbed and your quinoa is tenderly cooked.
- As the quinoa simmers, warm up a large skillet to medium-high heat and add some olive oil. Throw in the chopped onion and bell peppers before they have time to cool down and cook for around 5 minutes or until softened.
- To the skillet, add garlic, chili powder, cumin, smoked paprika, oregano and cayenne pepper. Saute these ingredients until they are aromatic – approximately one minute should do it!
- Stir in the black beans, corn, and cooked quinoa. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour the mixture into a 9×13 inch baking dish and top it off with shredded cheddar cheese.
- Bake your dish in the oven for around 20-25 minutes, or until all of the cheese is fully melted and you hear it bubbling.
- Garnish with fresh cilantro before serving.
This Garlic and Herb Baked Southwestern Quinoa Casserole is the perfect meal for up to 6 people. It tastes delicious on its own, but add a side of avocado, salsa or sour cream for an extra flavorful punch! Experience this delightful dish today and savor every bite!