Enjoy the velvety depth of flavor that comes from roasting garlic and tomatoes for this comforting, vegetarian soup. It’s a perfect meal choice to warm you up on chilly days throughout fall or winter – pair it with crusty bread or a simple green salad for an even heartier experience! Your taste buds will thank you as soon as its savory aroma wafts through your kitchen. Enjoy it at lunchtime, during dinnertime, or anytime!
- 1 head of garlic
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 2 pounds of ripe tomatoes, cut in half
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 cups of vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup of heavy cream
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Fresh basil, chopped
- Before you start baking, get your oven up to a sizzling 400°F (200°C)!
- Slice off the head of garlic, revealing the cloves within. Then generously dress it with one tablespoon of olive oil and enclose it in foil before roasting for 35-40 minutes until it’s gorgeously fragrant and soft!
- Place the halved tomatoes in a large baking dish and drizzle with one tablespoon of olive oil. Sprinkle generously with salt and pepper, then roast for 25-30 minutes until they reach a beautiful caramelized color and become soft to the touch.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil on medium in a sizable soup pot before adding the chopped onion. Sauté until soft and translucent.
- Gently press the roasted garlic cloves from their skins and add them to the pot, together with the roasted tomatoes and vegetable broth, for a delectable flavor.
- Bring the combination to a vigorous boil, lower the heat, and let it cook gently for 15-20 minutes until all its flavors are beautifully blended.
- With the help of an immersion blender, blend and puree the soup until it is velvety smooth.
- Carefully pour in the heavy cream and mix until incorporated. Enhance the flavor of your soup by seasoning it with a pinch of salt and freshly ground black pepper, tasting as you go!
- Delight your guests with hot soup garnished with freshly chopped basil.